[Public-List] Drain hoses

Mike Nikolich mike.nikolich550 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 09:04:00 PST 2023

Scott,

Prior to the 2021 season I replaced these through-hulls, valves, fittings, and some of the hoses.

The through hulls are 1" ID.  I installed Groco FBV-1000 flanged hull valves on TH-1000 through hull fittings and did not have to modify the holes in the hull.  Groco also makes a composite backing plate with holes pre-drilled for their flanged hull valves. I used 5200 to stick it to the hull, then installed the through-hull and valve and let everything cure. On top I have a T fitting and hose barb fittings.  The straight hose fittings I used are Groco FF-1000, which takes a 1 1/4" ID hose.  For the cockpit drains I used 45-degree fittings to minimize bends and make the short hose run easier to hook up. (I got those elsewhere, Groco doesn't make a 45-degree version of the FF-1000). I don't remember the exact hose I used, other than it was Trident wet exhaust hose. (I had purchased the hose much earlier, then finally installed it after replacing the valves.) They make a version for short runs without the wire inside but I don't remember if I found it in 1 1/4". I did not change the deck or cockpit floor fillings.

I have not used Sani-flex hose but have heard good things about it's flexibility.  However, I don't know if it is rated for below-the-waterline applications like this that are continuously open to the sea.

As Marcelo pointed out, how appropriate 1" through-hulls are to handle the combined cockpit and scupper drain flow is an entirely different discussion. He presented a good solution.  I believe Mike Lehman did something similar. He left the hose sizes and deck/cockpit floor fittings the same but ran the scupper hoses to their own through-hulls in the transom, above the waterline like Marcelo.

Cheers!
Mike

Mike Nikolich
s/v Skybird