[alberg30] Re: gelcoat color match

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Aug 13 18:20:42 PDT 1998

From: <FINNUS505 at aol.com>

Hi Friends!

I've always liked the traditional  cream/buff color for decks. It is easy on
the eyes, and stays cool. A nice scheme might be the buff on the nonskid, and
white on the smooth finish areas.

When they were choosing a color for the deck of the 12 meter Courageous, they
wanted the best color that would suit racing; ie, no glare, decreased
reflectivity, cool, but they came up with that sea-foam, green blue.
Practical, maybe, but not very aesthetic.

Stargazer's decks are white, and for 1967 original gel coat they are in
surprisingly good shape, but there are areas of crazing, and some small pits
that go right down to the epoxy. I DO NOT look forward to the job of
refinishing, them, for sure. Luckily, too many other, higher priority projects
to tackle first.

Good luck,

Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255