[alberg30] Re: Compasses

A30240 at aol.com A30240 at aol.com
Sun Jul 19 10:27:00 PDT 1998

From: <A30240 at aol.com>

Dave

If you are concerned about cutting a large hole, use a bracket mount.  then
you only have two screw holes.  You can use threaded inserts in the bulkhead
to make it easier to mount and remove the compass.  You can stow it down below
when it isn't in use, in fact you only need mount it when you actually need
it.  Keeps the bulkhead free for leaning on the rest of the time.  As for the
"compass well", I have done a fair amount of compass adjusting, and never been
able to fully adjust one mounted in the A30 well.  I have always had to make a
deviation table for when the boat is under power, and given the warning that
the deviation will be different depending on how much the alternator is
working.  As you have noticed the compasses on the market don't have the
quality of the ones made 30 years ago, however the Ritchie seems to be
reasonably made.

Jim Davis
Isa Lei
240