[alberg30] Re: Compasses

Amy & David Swanson zira at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 19 12:12:45 PDT 1998

From: Amy & David Swanson <zira at mindspring.com>

Jim (and others)-

Thanks for the info.  Would it make any sense to use a bracket mount compass in
the well when sailing, and moving it to another location (bulkhead) when
motoring?  Or would the deviation be likely to vary too much?  Any reasonable
way
to shield it (copper foil under the motr or something)?

I like the central location in the well.  I had a bulkhead-mounted compass on my
last boat (a Suunto tactical racing model) and it was difficult to read when you
were on the " wrong" side.  Prior to that boat, I had a bracket mount that I put
on the center of the bottom compaionway board of my Cape Dory Typhoon.  I
thought
about going that route again, but it is not that much farther from the engine.