[alberg30] Re: sump

F. Otta fotta at yorkville.com
Thu Jun 4 12:42:58 PDT 1998

From: "F. Otta" <fotta at yorkville.com>

I have the batteries (2) under the sole in a glassed-in "box" which has
an access hole (vertical opening) (~5"w x 3"h) at the rear to allow
access to the engine cooling-water valve, also allows you to look at the
area under the engine (and with a mirror, under the battery box). There
is about a foot of clearance below the battery area to the floor of the
enclosed area.This enclosed area measures about 1 ft wide x 1 foot high
(~16" under the engine) and about 6 feet long). I *think* that the floor
of this area is the top of the keel. At the rear of this compartment is
a small bulkheaad ~8" in height which closes this area off from the
bilge sump. The sump extends quite a bit deeper - I have checked this by
shining a light behind the engine and using a mirror to peer down into
it. I have my auto bilge pump attached to a sawn-off boathook, inserted
into the bilge sump with a hose running to the transom.

The hollowed out area under the engine seems to contain a great deal of
wasted space in a prime location. I'm thinking of cuttin a larg-ish
access hole into the floor of the battery compartment to allow access to
it. In any case though it would be a hassle to get at since th
ebatteries would normally be in the way. Also getting at the hollow area
under the engine would be a stretch.

Steve, why do you think that a hole drilled into the aft
bulkhead/seperator would need to be epoxied? Surely solid glass would
not allow for water intrusion. In which case one may be able to get at
it with an electric drill.