[alberg30] Re: sailing an Alberg to Maine

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sat Jun 6 19:18:58 PDT 1998

From: <FINNUS505 at aol.com>

Dear Marjorie,

I have not cruised my Alberg 30 in Maine, but in 1989, my wife-to -be and I
chartered a boat in Maine; a 36' 1936 Teak sloop, 'Pleides', that had been
built in Hong Kong to a British design. It was a great trip. We basicaly did a
big circle in Penobscot bay, starting in Belfast, and stopping in Castine,
Winter Harbor on Vinylhaven, Stonington, Isle Au Haut,Burnt coat Harbor on
Swans Island, and Rockport (not nec. in that order). It was a great trip!
Pleides was equipped with a compass, and a steady diesel. Luckily we did not
encounter any fog.

So, it can be done, 'the way they used to',  but radar and GPS would probably
go a long way to making the trip more relaxing.

This boat, Pleides, is basicaly in her original, 1936 condition. The interior
is all beautiful dark, aged teak, complete with old green kerosene lamps, and
a soapstone wood burning cabin heater. The layout is the old fashioned galley
to stbd of the companion ladder, and a real nav station to port, separated
from the main cabin by bulkheads port and stbd, with a curtain that pulled
across the opening between. On the forward face of these port and stbd
bulkheads are beautiful teak lockers. The original cabin table folded down
from the mainmast in the main cabin for meals. What a boat! But I think our
Albergs are faster, and even though smaller, more weatherly.

So go, and enjoy yourselves. And if you go to Winter Harbor on Vinalhaven,
smile as you see the harbor in which I asked my wife-to-be to marry me!

I'll be glad to answer any other questions might have.

Have fun,

Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255