[alberg30] Self Tending Jibs

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Fri Nov 20 16:34:33 PST 1998

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Gordon,
Self tending jibs are a pleasure.
One of the boats we had when I was a kid was a 1939 Sparkman and Stephens 35'
Weekender, built by Lawley. She had a solid iron traveler mounted just aft of
the forhatch on the cabin top, and a gooseneck for the jib boom at the
stemhead. the sheet was reeved through blocks at the traveler, through
fairleads at the for end of the jibboom, and then turning blocks and fairleads
brought the sheet to the aft end of the cabin, to its own winch and cleat.
Nice arrangement.
The Weekender had a fractional rig, with the old jumper struts.
there were no running backstays.
I think you could add a fitting at the stem head to take the jibboom
gooseneck, and mount either a central block, or a traveler on the cabin top
for the sheet, and then hoist this self tending jib on the existing forstay.
To set up another stay sounds very complicated and unecessary,  in view of
what you would like; a self tending jib for lazy, relaxing sails, when there
is no chance you would want to fly  the self tender AND a genny.
What do you think?
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255