[alberg30] Re: INFO Needed Prior to Looking for a '30'

Steve Weingart shw at gate.net
Mon Oct 19 14:19:41 PDT 1998

From: Steve Weingart <shw at gate.net>

Jackie,

>The older boats have a masonite core.  The newer ones have a balsa core.
>I'm not exactly sure when the change was made.  I've not heard of
>problems with the masonite core.

I can say that Wyvern #280 has the masonite core and the deck is as solid
as a sidewalk.

>The balsa core, of course, must be
>kept dry.  Problems generally come from boltholes being drilled through
>the core and not properly sealed.  Water infiltration will cause
>delamination.  You can detect this by tapping on the deck.  There is
>an obvious difference in the sound.

Yup that dull thud, as opposed to a sharp knock is the giveaway.  Also
bounce (gently) on the balls of your feet while walking around all over the
deck.  It should be solid and not give more than a little springy feeling
in the largest open areas of the deck.  A spongy/squishy feeling is bad...

>While most A30's were delivered with gas engines, many have been
>repowered.  It should be easy to find a boat with a diesel engine
>if that is important to you.  I thought it was important to me
>but I've found that I'm very happy with my Atomic 4.

I'll vote with George!  I am very happy with the high reliability/low
maintenance costs of the A4 along with it's quiet, smooth operation
(diesels are noisy, smelly and usually vibrate much more than a gas engine
due to the higher compression ratio and higher operating forces).  Also
carburetors are much easier to deal with than injectors...

>I hope you find the boat of your dreams!

Amen!

Steve