[alberg30] Re: Snowbird questions & wiring

alberg30 alberg30 at planet.net
Mon Oct 19 18:04:32 PDT 1998

From: "alberg30" <alberg30 at planet.net>

Amy & David:

Our boat, #499, has its electrical panel directly below the companionway,
set back from the gangway steps, on the counter. This was the original
position of the panel when I bought the boat. We have added numerous AC
circuit breakers,  A4 blower switch, an autopilot switch, float switch for
the bilge pump, etc. And the one advantage of this position is that it
leaves a lot of room for additions. Also, you can route the wires, and tack
them down nice and neat due to the extra space.

But to be sure, the disadvantages are that the panel is directly below the
open companionway, and in theory water could spill over and onto the
countertop. Hasn't happened yet. And I have found this position to be dry
in all types of weather---so far. Of course, if you have water coming
through the companionway and into your main salon, then perhaps you have
other, bigger concerns than your exposed electrical panel.

Another disadvantage is that the clearance behind the panel in this
position is marginal, maybe 1-2" deep, and may not give you enough room for
a protective case to cover the backs of your circuits, etc. Not a good
idea, you really want that stuff covered up somehow.  When I open the panel
up for service, I am actually flipping it upside down, and the mental
gymnastics of looking at things this way is slightly annoying.

If it wasn't so much work to move the thing, I think I'd opt for somewhere
higher up, and maybe out of the way-  ie: dryer for that one rogue wave.