[alberg30] Re: Diesel's on Alberg 30's

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Sun Oct 25 23:44:00 PST 1998

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Well, I was using one in a 34 ft Tancook Island schooner that may have
been a bit heavier than an Alberg and of course the prop may have been
not quite right but the engine was old and always troublesome. Seemed it
had to have a $600 rebuild every couple of years - back when $600 was a
lot of money. I was making $110 a week... All sorts of things went wrong
with it.
    On gas smells - aside from carb drips, I found some Albergs' gas
tanks were corroded. A little like my first Mustang which was ten years
old when I bought it. The tank on that car had hundreds of pinholes in
the top of the tank (which was the floor of the trunk, covered with a
fibrous mat that held moisture).
    Having grown up in Freeport, on the south shore of long Island, a
motorboat port, I saw the results of too many gasoline fires and it
still scares me. I have been burned twice in other accisdents and don't
want it to happen again.

    I like the power my 21 hp Westerbeke puts out for getting home
against wind & tide. Seems every time I sail the wind shifts against me
when it's time to come home.

Gordon White