[alberg30] Holding Tank Locations

Chester & Jan Koop cjk at tir.com
Sun Aug 29 19:42:08 PDT 1999

After 18 years of trouble free service my recirculating head (a Monomatic) died over the weekend.  Given its age and the lack of capacity, I am considering replacing  it with a conventional head and holding tank rather than try and repair the old unit. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best location for the holding tank and fresh water through-hull?

>From my initial inspection three locations seem to be the most likely candidates for the tank, but each seem to have their own drawbacks.
  1.. Under the port settee- concerns are a lack of capacity and cutting out two 1 1/2 inches holes so close together in the bulkhead for hose access to the location.
  2.. Under the forward bunk port-side - more room but the concern here is that the tank intake hose would be about 5"-6" higher than the head.
  3.. Under the cabin sole - large capacity and lower than the head but I don't know if one can get the intake/pumpout hose to that location.
Incidentally, the old head sat on a raised plywood "false floor."  Is this standard feature on  Albergs?  Underneath this is another raised floor of balsa-cored(?) fiberglass which seems to be part of the liner and, I suspect, an open area under this.

Any suggestions and installation ideas would be appreciated.

Chet Koop
Tangaroa #445