[alberg30] re holding tank

Chester & Jan Koop cjk at tir.com
Mon Aug 30 16:36:57 PDT 1999

From: "Chester & Jan Koop" <cjk at tir.com>

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think the pictures would be very helpful.  Particularly if they illustrate
how you have routed the intake and pump out lines.   I'll check that general
area of Tangaroa's  forward cabin again to see if there is enough room to
snake the hose through there.  Off the top of my head I don't recall if has
sufficient room to make the transition out from under the forward bunk,
under the foc'sl flooring and then into the main cabin area.  Tanagroa was
build in 1970,  a couple of years before holding tanks were required and
therefore designed for overboard discharge.  I am unsure if later models had
been modified to allow for head hose(s) to enter the area being suggested.

Given the problems I am having with the top of my built in water tank
leaking,  I think I'll forego a similar arrangement for the head.  My
thoughts are to have a custom tank constructed and fasten it in this area
without cutting away the liner (except for the hoses).  However, to achieve
additional capacity the bottom could be cutaway and have the tank rest on
the hull itself. Do you think the structural integrity of the liner and/or
the hull would be dramatically effective by this action?

Also do you 1) think I could do away with the raise secondary floor in the
head area and 2) any recommendations for the head itself?  The "Skipper"
(recommended by Practical Sailor) is nearly $1,000.00 and the Skipper II
about $850.00.  Anything good out there for a more reasonable cost?

Chet
Tangaroa 445