[alberg30] CCA Design Suitabilty for Cruising (very long wind ed)

Rick Leach RLeach at mbayaq.org
Wed Dec 8 10:14:55 PST 1999

From: Rick Leach <RLeach at mbayaq.org>

Thomas,

Thanks for sharing that post.  It has shown me a perspective that I would
never have developed given my experience and outlook.  I would not think of
disrespecting the writer, given his claim to have been sailing actively
since the year of my birth!

However, from my personal experience, which I will admit is relatively
limited, many of the generalizations that he attributes to "CCA designs" do
not seem to apply to my A-30.  I've read some descriptions from one builder
that Carl Alberg worked for who said that he "would never compromise his
design principles", meaning that when they asked for more beam and more
waterline length, he would come back with a design that was never quite as
extreme as they had hoped for.  Carl seemed to have my priorities in mind
while at his drawing board designing a safe, comfortable, family
cruiser/racer.  Could it be that with the knowledge that he was designing a
"one-design class" vessel that he didn't need to exploit the CCA rule to the
point that the negative attributes mentioned in the post became dominant?

Perhaps I am just so enamored with my beautiful, sturdy craft that his
warnings are falling on deaf ears.  When I "fell" for my A-30 I had no idea
what she was or who designed her.  I only knew that she was the incarnation
of what I had always envisioned "my boat" to be.  Enough, enough...I'm
probably only preaching to the choir anyway.  I hope others with more
experience will chime in to relate their point of view.

Rick Leach

Sugar Magnolia, #121
www.angelfire.com/ca/Alberg30

	and blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, etc.,etc.

Time to get your asks in gear. Get your own personal stock ticker and
stay on top of the market. Register at