[alberg30] Cockpit access panel-done it

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Mon Feb 22 11:18:12 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Dick,
  Welcome to the Alberg 30 world, and sailing in general!
  I installed a Bomar access panel on my  boat, Stargazer #255, 1967, last
summer.  I got it through West marine, and it cost around $60.oo.  Bomar must
have changed their product since Gordon's panel was instaled, as mine was
around 18 by 22.
  When you cut out the hole, and remove the piece of cockpit sole, you will be
amazed at the access you have to your engine, the stuffing box, and the
seacocks for the scuppers.  I am like you: I think every inch of the boat
should be easily accesible, for maintainance and emergencies, and once you
have the access panel, you will wonder how you could have gotten along without
it.
  Cutting through the cockpit sole is not easy.  Your boat is an older one
like mine, and you will probably find the same construction.  The reason our
cockpit soles are so stiff is that it is a sandwich of multiple layers of
glass and masonite; thick glass!  You will need a Sawzall or the equivalent to
cut it.
  After I cut out the hole, I noticed some of the masonite had split slightly;
the dreaded begining of delamination.  I was eager to get the job done, and I
pushed the saw, and probably didn't change the blades often enough as they
dulled on the glass, so there was alot of vibration, which may have caused the
problem. So go slow, and keep using sharp blades to cut down  on vibration.  I
remedied the problem by applying  thinned epoxy, GitRot, to the edges of the
exposed masonite, which  was rapidly  absorbed, and clamping the laminate back
together, and then bolting a wooden beam athwartships under the sole just aft
of the access panel.  Even if you don't see delamination, the git rot is a
good idea to seal the exposed surface of the masonite core against water
intrusion.  And the beam stiffens the cockpit sole.
  My one dissapointment with the plastic Bomar hatch is that it is not as
strong as I thought it would be.  When you step in the center of it, it gives
a little.  Probably not a problem, but I just am afraid of the day some bone
head decides to take a jump into the cockpit, lands on the hatch and breaks
through. So I made a marine ply  cover for the hatch for now, and eventualy I
plan to make a strong cockpit grating to cover the entire sole, including the
hatch, and then the strength of the hatch will not be an issue.  The aluminum
hatches run several hundred dollars.
  I had no choice but to install the hatch.  The Volvo the previous owner had
installed is taller than the original A4, so access to the stuffing box was
not possible from the cabin.  And the 25 gallon fuel tank he installed under
the cockpit sole completely blocked off the deck plate in the cockpit.  To get
to the stuffing box, he cut a hole in the for and aft bulkhead inboard in the
stbd cockpit locker, but lying on the floor of the locker, I could just barely
touch the stuffing box with the tips of my fingers of one hand.  There was no
way to adjust it, or fix it in an emergency.  Also, the water pump on the
volvo is on the back of the engine, and was not visible from the cabin.
Imagine trying to change an impeller by feel alone!  Most, if not all of the
screws for the pump cover would end up in the bilge, I'm sure!  So, after
cutting the hole for the access panel, I cut out  the 25 gallon fuel tank,
(plastic fortunately), and then I could see what I had to see.
  Good Luck, Dick.  It sounds like you're really enjoying your boat, and
thinking about her in the right way. Makes me want to throw my boat in the
water right now and go sailing!!!!  But then, I always feel like that!!!
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255