[alberg30] Re: More access panel info

Tom Sutherland tomsu at uky.campuscw.net
Tue Feb 23 17:08:06 PST 1999

From: Tom Sutherland <tomsu at uky.campuscw.net>

Lee, Gordon, Jack and all,

    I think I would like to weigh in on some of this hatch talk. When I bought #
412 it had an access hatch in the cockpit which looks just like the one on page
799 in the west book  which Lee describes. It also is a Bomar but the cut out is
only 10 X 14. Well this hatch LEAKS LIKE A SIEVE. I thought the easiest  short
term fix would be just order a new one and just use the hinged part along with
the new gasket and this would do until I could find something I liked which would
fit my existing cut out or I would be willing to enlarge it a small amount
(really don't want or need a much larger cut out)
    Well when I received what I thought was an exact duplicate of the Bomar
hatch. I saw that rather than having two hold downs as the one I had and also the
one pictured in the West Catalogue it only had one. Well I didn't think too much
of it just thought that Bomar had changed the design. Not only have they changed
the design but also the size. As I understand it they no longer make a hatch to
fit my cut out. The one I received as a replacement was 3/4 of an inch too small.
Needless to say I was not happy. I thought it was bad enough that they made such
a inferior hatch but then to discontinue it and leave me and I am sure many
others with a bastardized cut out which I have not been able to find a hatch by
any manufacture which fits........not even  very close.

    Sorry to get so involved but I would really like to find a nice quality
inspection hatch which would fit a 10 X 14 (or a bit but not too much)
larger............any ideas are welcome.

Tom S
InCahoots
A 30  #412

PS .... The lid on my Bomer has warped  and by being in the cockpit a hard rain
lets  copious amounts of water into the bilge !