[alberg30] Re: Boom gallows location, dog house windows

Jacques Guerette jguerett at nortelnetworks.com
Fri Jan 29 09:38:51 PST 1999

From: "Jacques Guerette" <jguerett at nortelnetworks.com>

Lee,

Someone in an earlier email suggested attaching the mainsheet to a bail
located (my guess) a foot or so in from the end of the boom. This would
enable you to site a gallows at the extreme aft end of the cockpit without
impairing main sheet functions.  I'm sorry I can't remember who proposed
this, 'cause I think it is a thoroughly clever and pragmatic idea.

I replaced my cabin windows a couple of years ago not with Lexan but with
standard acrylic.  I was advised to do this because although Lexan is
stronger, it's lifetime in the sun is much shorter, i.e. it fogs very
quickly.  If you look at Dan Spurr's "Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat" there
is a great system for installing/removing Lexan storm shutters over the
window.  There are two methods described.  My preference is a stainless
steel track system approximately 1" longer and wider than the window.  It
runs completely around the window frame. The track is thru-bolted to hold it
in place and it is drilled and tapped to accept a screw. The storm shutter
is then attached to the track using butterfly screws (?).

This is a feature I'll be adding in a year or two.  Basically, I'll use the
standard acrylic windows for normal sailing and attach the Lexan storm
shutters for more serious conditions.

Jacques