[alberg30] Re: Winches; Response

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Tue Mar 2 10:43:51 PST 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Guy:

I'm always concerned when someone takes my advice seriously, remember
it's free and therefore worth what your paying for - just kidding.  But
seriously our exA30 Wind Rose #544 was a great boat (1973) with the twin
islands and the base size fit the Lewmar 40ST perfectly with no over
hang but it was the maximum size you could go to with out surgery on the
coamings and don't laugh but Nipkin a legendary Great Lakes Racing A30
(four time GL Champion) has Lewmar 43s standard but the coamings had to
be cut to fit them.

I don't remember the actual size of the winches now but ours were new in
1988, chrome with black top and bottom "wave grip" jaws with the chrome
line stripper arm.  Check with Lewmar for the size and whether it has
changed at the base.   I also recommend you investigate Anderson's
winches as they are Stainless, the drums are ribbed instead of knurled
and lighter than bronze - personally I would not want aluminium winches
because they wear out too rapidly and the savings are marginal.

Considering the cost of winches I think you are going to have to measure
your boats bases, 5 7/8" rings a bell, but don't quote me.

Good luck, ST's are a big ouch cost wise but I wouldn't want to go back
to standards now and big 'uns are better still.

I also went with oversized winches on Sunstone our A37 ( I know its not
a 30 but hey George its in the family, it's just a 30 with a thyroid
condition that's all).

Take care Guy and I hope my thoughts are a help.

Fair winds,

John Birch