[alberg30] Re: Depth Finder Peter Hay

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Thu Mar 4 20:31:21 PST 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Peter:

I've used an oil bath for years, which is superior to water, because of
greater viscosity and it does not risk freezing in winter.

Be warned that if you epoxy/tar the bottom the signal will be further
downgraded, the hull does reduce somewhat the signal in the deeper
readings.

If you're installing one for the first time put the transducer in a
plastic bag filled with water and put it against the hull while the boat
is in the water.  Have someone move it around the area you plan to sight
it until you get the strongest signal on the finder.  This technique
allows you the opportunity to find any air bubbles or voids in the
laminate which impair the signal.  Then simply mark the spot and install
the PVC pipe shaped for the hull curvature bath, or lay one up in glass
seal it and fill it with oil, mineral works well.

Make sure the bath is wide enough that the non vertical part of the
signal does not exit the side of the box into the air as the performance
will be down graded.  The signal shape is conical.

Have fun.

J Birch, Sunstone