[alberg30] Re: SWLs

Guy Lalonde guy.lalonde at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 7 10:08:21 PST 1999

Pete,

I don't have any A30 specific info on tension for standing rigging. But in
the book "The Sailor's Assistant" by John Vigor (International Marine),
they provide the following general rule:

1- the upper shrouds, backstay and forestay should be tensioned at
10% of the boat's displacement (A30 displ 9000 lbs, so 900 lbs)

2- tighten the forward lower shrouds so that the mast bows forward
slightly but noticeably at the spreaders

3- tighten the aft lower shrouds to straighten the mast again

4- sail for a few hours in moderate winds to allow the rig to stretch

5- again in moderate winds, adjust for straightness (fine tuning)

Hope this helps. If anyone has A30 specific data, I'd be interested in
knowing.

Cheers,
Guy Lalonde        Cyrena #466
guy.lalonde at sympatico.ca