[alberg30] Re: Motor mounts/Thrust Bearings

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Sun Mar 21 07:09:24 PST 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Rabbit 649:

I'm listening to you, but now you know how Cassandra felt seeing her
prophesies go unheeded.

I have an A-37 Mk1 with a Westerbeke 4-107 and I'm not sure if I have
the room between the stuffing box and the rear flange, it's no more than
6".  I'll have to check when I pull the tarp off next week - hurrah
finally!

The engine generates a max. power of 40 hp but in reality if I'm using
much more than 18 hp on the curve I'd be suprised.  Interestingly I'm
turning a 2 blade 13x9LH, no bigger than my old A-30 and I'm perfectly
happy with the performance other than the oil leaks, go through about 4
or 5 litres of oil a season over and above the oil changes.

Question, if I have room to mount this bearing will I be able to get a
good epoxy bond if the boat is in the water if I wait until the water
temperature and air temp are close to reduce/eliminate condensation on
the hull?

The other question is how robust should the bearing be?

Thank you in advance.

Fair winds,

John Birch, Sunstone KC-65