[alberg30] Re: Motor mounts/Thrust Bearings

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Sun Mar 21 14:40:59 PST 1999

From: RABBIT649 at aol.com

Hello John,
	As I said to George, just because I raised a holler, doesn't mean I know what
I'm talking about. This is in the conceptual stages.
	I'm almost sure i saw a thrust type bearing advertised for marine use when I
worked this out and I'm positive there is a marine CV joint by PSS.
	As to your suggestion of matching air and water temp, sounds good, but I
don't know if thats all that is involved. Water has  much higher specific heat
than air and may cool the epoxy too quickly depending on the temperature. The
flange would have to be designed with fairly large tabs that distribute force
over the inside hull surface, perhaps a vee shaped steel pan with downward
flanges that are glassed into 'pockets' on both sides of the hull and then the
bearing mounted on the (horizontal) pan? or a vertical vee wedged doen into a
vee shaped batten glassed to the hull.
All this presumes a fair amount of access to the area between the rear of the
engine and the stuffing box. I remember I was planning to use a dripless and I
had measured that there was enough room, given a shortening of the tube and a
custom shaft.
But I am faced with redoing everything anyway. I don't know if i would even
consider this if I weren't.