[alberg30] Fw: [a30] Tanks

Guy Lalonde lalondegc at videotron.ca
Fri Nov 12 18:24:56 PST 1999

From: Guy Lalonde <lalondegc at videotron.ca>

Talk about limiting access, check out the following configuration which was
done by a previous owner. On #466 (1971) there is a metal tank under the
cockpit floor which in my opinion extends a little too far forward over
above the stuffing box, so if there were an inspection port in the cockpit
floor, one would not be able to access it anyhow. Mine has wheel steering
and the pedestal is placed at the forward end of the cockpit, so there is no
inspection port.

Trying to get at it from the inside is another story.  466 has a Volvo Penta
diesel model 2002 which has a high profile compared to an Atomic 4. So
trying to squeeze in from the inside to access anything behind the engine is
almost impossible. Even trying to access the gate valves where the deck and
cockpit drains connect to is difficult. Last week I removed all the other
gate valves (which were all bronze) and it was a good thing because they
were badly corroded and / or seized and I had to use a Dremel tool with a
cutting wheel to remove them (those Dremels are great). I put off replacing
the ones behind the engine because of access. Inaccessible and possibly
seized gate valves could present a safety hazard.

Also you want easy access if ever you had to re-align the transmission and
shaft alignment.

So plan your installation carefully, taking the above into consideration.

Cheers,
Guy.
Cyrena #466