[alberg30] Cabin heater - Kole Stove

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Wed Nov 3 11:35:35 PST 1999

SandersM at aol.com wrote:

> From: SandersM at aol.com
>
> I was going to pass up this thread except for the fact that I just finished a
> four-day run up the Sound to Stonington with beautiful days and FRIGID
> nights, so suddenly this talk about cabin heaters has captured my attention.
>
> A quick look inside the BOAT/US catalogue reveals only electric heaters.  One
> -- a PTC ceramic heater, $24.95 -- runs on 12v DC and draws 10 amps.  Not
> being electric-literate, I wonder whether one could run this off of a single
> battery for 6-8 hours at a time, and get enough warmth from it to take the
> edge off of late October nights.  Thoughts?

In a word no. A typical deep cycle battery is about 60 amp-hours
capacity, and you won't get even the full capacity at such a rapid (10
amp) discharge rate. I think an electrical heater is ipractical,
especially since you don't want to run the engine all the time to charge
the battery or provide the power to the heater.

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com