[alberg30] Jammed main Halyard cable

John Bailey baileyje at voyager.net
Wed Nov 10 03:30:09 PST 1999

From: "John Bailey" <baileyje at voyager.net>

Dick,

I was new this year to sailing.  I thought the trouble I was having with the
cable halyard was just something I was going to have to live with because I
bought an old boat(1964).  But one time out in 20 knots the exact same
scenario happened.  We were not in protected waters so it was pretty exiting
for us.  Because I had my 16 yr. old rock climbing son with me, we were able
to get all but the top battens out before we wrapped the sail around the
mast.  So, we got out of the situation before any damage was done to the
sail.  I had the mast taken down so that I could make it the way I wanted.
I had the sheave recut for a rope halyard, ran the halyard to the cockpit
and it worked perfect all summer.  I love it.  I'm sure those with more
sailing experience could come up with some reasons why the cable is better,
but what I have works.  the whole setup with blocks to run to the cockpit,
new halyard and machine work to the sheave was less than $150.

John Bailey
"Zevulun" #33