[alberg30] Rudder shaft packing gland

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Wed Nov 10 18:17:00 PST 1999

From: "George Dinwiddie" <gdinwiddie at min.net>

John,

Welcome to the Alberg 30 mailing list.  You may wish to join the
Alberg 30 Association, too.  I just recently published a small
article on this topic in the newsletter.

Are your new fuel tanks mounted on the outboard or inboard side of
the cockpit lockers?  You can (or, rather, I can) reach the rudder
post packing gland with one hand by lying down in the aft lazarette
locker and reaching under the cockpit.  You may be able to tighten
it this way, but I wasn't.  I couldn't loosen the lock nut from
this position.

I was successful by removing the aft half of the plywood inboard
of the port cockpit locker.  I cut this plywood straight down
from the aft edge of the rectangular hole at the top.  Then I drilled
out the rivets and broke loose the fiberglass tabbing.  It was then
easy to reach and adjust the rudder packing gland.  I replaced the
plywood panel using screws along the top and bottom edges.

 - George
   "Calypso", #543