[alberg30] Name change?

Lokman Abdullah abdullah at hfx.andara.com
Wed Nov 17 05:49:54 PST 1999

From: "Lokman Abdullah" <abdullah at hfx.andara.com>

> From: FINNUS505 at aol.com
>
> Hi Thom,
> Sailors can be a superstitious lot, their fates and destinies determined by
> the vagaries of the seas, and mermaids they meet along the way. It seems only
> natural that in their inability to control their environment they would
> develop their own explanations of why their lives were as they were.
>
> Don't sail on a boat named 'Kitty Poo', though.  It's almost as bad as the
> Bristol 27 I saw once, kept in total dissaray by two slobs, named 'Breaking
> Wind'.
>
> I've read a couple of tongue in cheek articles about rituals involving safe
> name changing, that will appease Triton and Aoleus. Basicaly, you remove any
> and all traces of the old boat name from the boat-letters on the hull,
> paperwork in the cabin, etc.  Let the boat sit 'fallow' for 3 months, then
> have a big ceremony to rename the boat, and pour champagne, (or Bass Ale, if
> that is more dear to your heart) into the sea to appease the god's.  Do it,if
> it will make you feel better.  If I was Triton, I wouldn't want a boat named
> Kitty Poo sailing on my ocean, so I think anything you do will be
> appreciated!!!!  :)
>
> Enjoy,
> Lee
> Stargazer #255
>
> (f you are wondering where we got our name from, here is the story;
> Rona and I, besides being stargazers, loving the constellations, are avid
> Star Trek fans.  We were watching an episode of Next Generation-the one in
> which Picard and Riker find Scotty, who had saved his own life by putting
> himself in the transporter beam of his wrecked ship, hoping someone would
> find him before the ship's power ran out.  Revived, and learning about the
> new Enterprise and 100 years of new technology, he obviously became depressed
> at lost friends, and lost time, and he had the old Enterprise' bridge
> simulated in the holodeck, and got drunk on scotch.  Picard joined him, and
> as the two reminisced about their early ships and commands, Picard explained
> that his first command had been the 'Stargazer'.  I knew right then, that my
> next boat was to have that name. About a year later, we found #255 at the
> Long Island Maritime Museum in Sayville, NY.  She had been donated by a
> fellow who had bought her with plans to modify her into a singlehanded, blue
> water cruiser, and was going to sail the world.  Unfortunately, he ran out of
> steam and cash, and had to abandon the project, his modifications only partly
> completed.
> Her name was Aui Quoay, or something like that, which was explained to me
> that it was french for 'the dock', and a play on a former owner's wife's
> name, Kay.  Well, like Kitty Poo, that name had to go!!!!  Lucky thing we had
> a name all lined up already!!!)

Hi Lee, regarding Au Quay, it is French for 'to the dock' or quay(cay). One
theory is that it is also the origin of "OK"--French colonial banana
plantation setting: if after inspection, the bananas are OK to be shipped
off they are marked Au Quay--to the docks for shipping.

Lokman
Bluenose B183
Alyshka
potential A30 owner