[alberg30] deck painting- Interlux Rocks!

Joe Tokarz alberg30 at interactive.net
Thu Oct 21 18:14:12 PDT 1999

From: alberg30 at interactive.net (Joe Tokarz)

To the group:

I am having great success restoring the teak in-laid hatches and painting
of the deck on "One Less Traveled"--thanks to the various comments from the
List and of course the Maint. Manual.

I am currently painting the hatches now, and anticipate painting the deck
in coming weeks, weather permitting. I have primed the hatches with
Interlux Brightside Primer, and have completed one coat of Interlux
One-part poly. enamel.

A couple of questions:

1) I am painting the deck the "off-white" color #4381. The non-skid will be
Grand Banks Beige #4217. Has anyone had any experience with the deck having
too much glare when using white or off-white colors. My deck was previously
pretty white, and because of the large patches of dark colored non-skid I
never had a problem before. Of course, the new finish is so clean and
glossy... I am wondering. Would a flattening agent solve this problem?

2) Do you apply 2 coats of the one part poly just like the instructions
say? One coat looks unbelievable! Are 2 coats necessary?

3)Has anyone got an easy way to re-create the non-skid area in some places
where I reglassed or sanded down the original grid? I plan to eventually
cover all non-skid with epoxy encapsulated model train sand and then paint