[alberg30] Winterizing A-4 and othe rthings.

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Oct 21 10:43:35 PDT 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

In a message dated 10/21/99 10:21:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

<< From: shawnwilliam at msn.com

 Can anyone give me some guidence on winterizing my A-4, painting down below,
repairing wood support beam, adding pressure water( is hot water possible).

 Thanks in advance,

 Shawn Orr
 IL Molino
 #307 >>
Hi Shawn,
I can answer the painting down below question.  ITS MISERABLE!!!!!
Sanding overhead with goggles and respirator mask, and the dust falling all
over you, and the goggles fogging up.......and that is where it is just
overhead you are working on.  Wait till you get in the lockers, and your
trying to maneuver your sander around all the obstructions, etc, etc.  Open
all the hatches and ports, and set a fan in the main companion way set to
exhaust all the noxious fumes. Start with 150 grit, and quickly move up to
220. It is a miserable job, but well worth it.  A coat of fresh paint (or two
coats) really picks up the interior of the cabin. You may want to mask off
all the varnish work, ie the lockers and the grab handles. The blue 3M tape
is good, 1 inch, or even narrower, is good.  I hung 3 mil clear plastic, from
Home Depot, all along the tape edge, as drop cloths, with more tape, because
I'm a slob, and it was easier to hang the plastic than try to clean off the
dripped paint on the varnish.  I used a latex paint from Home Depot, a nice
cream color that looks good and adheres well.  West Marine sells an interior
marine latex that has a mildew inhibitor in it-you might want to look into it.
Repairing the wood support beam-I know alot of sailors here on the list have
done that-if you are more specific about what is wrong with yours, I'm sure
they'll chime in with their stories. There is an aluminum kit that they have
talked about.  Fortunately, that is one job Stargazer had done already when
we got her, and at present at least, we don't have to do ourselves!
Winterizing the A4?  I am no expert, but the winterizing technique I learned
from watching dad on his old boats was-
1) disconect the raw water intake hose from the seacock.
2) stick a funnel in the aperrture of the hose (big funnel)
3)use an old piece of string, strong, but old, and suspend the funnel in
front of the engine so you can pour antifreeze into it.
4)have someone start the engine, then pour antifreeze into the funnel.
5)have the person who started the engine watch the exhaust at the stern.
6)when antifreeze starts coming out of the exhaust catch it in a bucket.
7)hand the bucket to the guy down below, and keep pouring the antifreeze into
the funnel.
8)turn off the engine when you feel the antifreeze has permeated the entire
engine cooling system and muffler system.
9)there are probably other things that can be done too, so let the group
chime in with other steps that will help preserve your A4.  Changing the oil
is probably a good thing to do.
10) either get the antifreeze that is not dangerous to animals if they drink
it, or be very careful not to leave a puddle of the stuff under the boat.

Traditional antifreeze,ethylene glycol, I beleive, tastes sweet to dogs and
boatyard cats, but as little as one spoonful can put them into irriversible
kidney failure. (that's the vet in me talking)

Hot and cold running water.....why?  :) Actualy, we did instal an electric
pump on the galley sink on one boat. We put in a push button switch at knee
level to activate the pump.  It did make dishwashing alot easier, but there
was no way not to use up the fresh water faster, either. :)
good luck,
Lee
Stargazer #255

      GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA:
Get an APR as low as 2.9 Intro & NO annual fee! Apply online today!