[alberg30] Re: slab reefing and headsail furling

Rap1208 at aol.com Rap1208 at aol.com
Sun Oct 31 20:57:23 PST 1999

From: Rap1208 at aol.com

Geting the main ready for slab reefing is easy.  Get thee to a sailmaker with
the sail. Tell him you want double reefs, and also a flatening reef.  Talk to
him about where to put the reefing blocks, (usualy so the lead is 45 degrees
aft when each reef is put in).  You need two blocks, for two reefs.  Also at
least one cleat forward on the mast.  Also , on the other side,a cheek block
for the flatening reef, and I use a 3 part *gun) taackle and a jam cleat.
You can rig things so almost everything runs back to the cockpit, but you'll
have to run the main halyard back there too, a bit more complicated..  Also,
at the forward end of the boom, I have a hook on each side. One for the 1st
reef, the other for the 2nd.  The drill is, lower the main until you can get
the cringle on the hook, tighten the main halyard, pull the reef in hard, and
cleat.  It's faster with two people, and with 3 it takes less thatn a minute.
    My roller furling jib is always in  my basement, so I can't give advice
on that.  You don't mention where you are, but you must be close to some
sailmaker or other.  I have always had good luck with Doyle Boston
Russ