[alberg30] Westerbeke

Peter Amos P.A.Amos at tesco.net
Thu Aug 10 12:23:09 PDT 2000

Tom,
        my Westerbeke is an M320B, 3 cylinder 18hp with Hurth transmission and 2.05:1 reduction. I would describe it as adequate,but not exceptional. It is my understanding that Westerbeke and Universal are the same now and the product in in fact a marinised Kubota!! I have not yet needed any spares except oil filters and V belts, those I get from NAPA
The biggest drawback is the positioning of the dipstick.It is tucked away on the starboard side of the engine and very difficult to replace. Have a look at their website www.westerbeke.com. It has some useful information and graphs of fuel consumption etc. The documentation that I found on board is inferior in content and quality.The specification may have changed a bit, mine is about 5 years old now.
If you decide on a Westerbeke consider the 'Admiral' control panel option. On the subject of control panels I am considering relocating mine from the low position on the starboard side of the cockpit to the vertical panel on the starboard side of the companionway but |I am not sure if a cutout big enough to accept it would weaken the structure too much.Any opinions anybody?

Peter Amos
Tait Tait #478