[alberg30] Westerbeke/Universal Diesel

Peter Hay phay at netcom.ca
Thu Aug 10 14:22:14 PDT 2000

Tom and Peter
I have the M4-30 Universal rated at 25 hp installed in 1992.  The engine is great (quiet and well behaved).  As I have noted on this chat line before however, the 2 blade prop is very noisy.  I repitched it this year from 13 x 7 to 13 x 9 and the thrust is fantastic in forward or reverse.  I may go to a 3 blade as some others have done to quiet things.
Peter--your observations on the control panel are right on.  I am also going to move the panel to the starboard bulkhead.  I am considering putting the starting controls back on the coaming beside my wheel and putting the gauges on the bulkhead.  I will have to run the shutoff cable and electrical cables further, but I think the convenience will be worth it.  In addition I have alway worried about the cockput filling and water shorting things out.
Peter Hay
Goderich, ON Canada
phay at netcom.ca