[alberg30] cutter rigged

John Birch sunstone at idirect.com
Sun Aug 20 05:44:26 PDT 2000

Dick;

Unless the diamond pad is directly tied in to the Fwd bulkhead with heavy
duty angle bracket and bolts or attached to the stem with a glass knee and
tie rod you risk pulling up your deck. Sure it can be used on a light day
with a stays'l and Chute as is but one day the air will slowly increase and
you'll come off a wave and the peak load will exceed .... crack and you're
in the soup.

Unsupported deck fittings - the working jib track is a classic, over time,
wreck the deck. Kurt didn't always get it right - it is even worse on the
A-37s.

Wood work - I strongly recommend Cetol M by Sikkens, although easily abraded
it is easily touched up with a Q tip and Cetol in a small bottle. About
three Coats will do with an annual recoating. Ignore the instructions about
sanding to key the Cetol for the next coat - a good washing with the deck
brush rubbed over it will key it enough to coat from year to year. Cetol
does darken with time but it covers the imperfections in abused wood and
almost never fails the way varnish does. It is neither a Teak oil nor a
Varnish but something in between. Had it on Sunstone since '91, we have
extreme temperature shifts in Winter which I believe is the cause of most
varnish to wood failures due to the different expansion contraction
characteristics of wood and varnish.

Use a two part Teak cleaner, but scrub across the grain not with it to
reduce the loss of soft wood fibres. Use plenty of water to avoid the bleach
from staining the hull.

Removing the toe rail to Aluminium, seen it done a number of times and the
result is the same - yuck, it looks like a C&C wanna be. You're right to
think twice about that option.

Hope this has been a help.

Cheers,

John

Dick Filinich wrote:

> Hey All:On my boat there is a diamond pad eye about three feet aft of
> the head stay.Is it possible to use a halyard or topping lift(spinnaker
> pole)attached to this pad eye on deck as a stay and hoist a second sail
> with the spinnaker halyard or topping lift to rig as cutter.Has any one
> ever fooled around and tried something like this.What would be a good
> combination of head sails to not over load boat.There is a 32'Bayfield
> next to me and he is rigged cutter and only has one back stay,so I don't
> think that would be a problem.One other thing,my wood work is looking
> really bad I'm gonna have to take it all down and sand again or strip
> off the old varnish.I need a solution a stain or wood preservative,not
> varnish or any other coating that will peel after a few months.I had
> thoughts of pulling off all exterior wood except the toe rail,and
> replace with aluminun hatches,hand rails,aft hatch etc.But to remove all
> the wood, would take that classic look away.This will be a project when
> the temperature comes down some,just too hot down here lately to want to
> do anything but stay in air conditioning, new bimini top has made a
> world of difference.
> Dick #191

Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive
chemistry experiments.
http://click.egroups.com/1/8013/10/_/476031/_/966775467/