[alberg30] Cruising spinnakers and such

Forhan, Thomas Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov
Wed Feb 9 06:21:53 PST 2000

From: "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov>

Last year I bought a "cruising" spinakker from JSI in Florida, which you can
access via http://www.sailnet.com/store/ .

It was about $850 including a sock, part of the deal is they -as do some
other firms, ask around- have made up some stock sizes and you are buying
off the shelf. One size was about a 34 foot luff, so ok for an A30. They
only come in one color combination: red, white and blue, and are made in the
far east.

I wanted to keep things simple and I also did not want to invest in the
hardware- like the pole- associated with a true spinnaker. The disadvantage
is if you want to head dead downwind, this set up is not the greatest.
Still, I find that I can make good speed with this sail broad reaching, so
we just tack downwind and have a nice sail.

If my boat already had all the hardware, I might have done something
different, but this sail has worked out well for us and is a lot of fun.

Valentine's Day Shopping Made Simple.