[alberg30] Cruising spinnakers and such

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Wed Feb 9 17:09:36 PST 2000

From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>

Gord,

Gail and I got a spinnaker lesson from a friend (on a Laser 28 in
about 3 knots of breeze, as it turned out).  He also had a sock
that he didn't use and was willing to sell.  He said about the
same, that it was more trouble that it was worth.  We took it,
but after flying the spinnaker the "old-fashioned" way, we
returned it.  It's not that hard, even double-handed, in light
air.  George Ramsey even flies his single-handed while cruising.

 - George

Gord Laco wrote:

> Aboard an Alberg, a "real" spinnaker is a more usefull sail - and not that
> tough to use.  The earlier comment about overtrimming to calm them down
> works.   My experience with the various gadgets (socks etc) to make
> spinnakers easier to handle usually make things more complicated than just
> using the
>  the so called Racing gear.

Free Valentine’s Day Delivery from Petopia.com.
Looking for that pet-perfect Valentine’s Day gift?
Click here for free delivery with purchases of $25 or more.