[alberg30] Spinnakers & drifters

sandersm at aol.com sandersm at aol.com
Wed Feb 23 07:13:05 PST 2000

From: sandersm at aol.com

In a message dated 2/23/00 9:26:51 AM, fashionguy at ameritech.net writes:

>In the end he was going to put a quote together on both the drifter
>and a new cruising spinnaker.

I have over 20 years of sailing experience, but none with spinnakers.  Could
someone provide me with some explanation (off-list, if appropriate) of the
difference between a drifter and a cruising spinnaker, which until now I had
thought to be the same beast?  I had contemplated a large headsail that I
could tack to the deck and hoist with a spinnaker halyard, without need of
attachment to the forestay (I have roller-furling gear and don't want to take
down the genoa once it's up), that would give me better performance in the
light airs that predominate in these summer waters.  I appreciate George's
remark that a regular A30 spinnaker is not such a handful, but I sail
single-handed (even when I'm out with daughter or girlfriend) and I'm not
really looking for something that will require rigging with uphauls and
downhauls and lazy guys and all the other things that spinnakers want.

Do I want a drifter, or a cruising spinnaker?  Why?

Sanders McNew
WILD ELF  (# 297)

@Backup-The Easiest Way to Protect and Access your files.
Automatic backups and off-site storage of your critical data.  Install
your FREE trial today and have a chance to WIN a digital camera!
Click here.
http://click.egroups.com/1/1830/4/_/_/_/951318788/