[alberg30] Spinnakers & drifters

greg vandenberg fashionguy at ameritech.net
Thu Feb 24 05:37:03 PST 2000

From: greg vandenberg <fashionguy at ameritech.net>

That IS the question Sanders!  We are trying to find that sail most
appropriate for light air (5-8 mph true) up-wind sailing. A cruising spinnaker
is good through 70 degrees. A very flat cut cruising spinnaker is better on
the wind than a standard. The thought is that a drifter (light wt, wire luff,
great overlap is the answer... and the sail maker was hedging towards the flat
cut cruising spinnaker. I don't think it was MY answer... so the quotes are
coming on both. Meanwhile... I'm looking at used. Not a bad option....maybe
the best. The prices seam to be $300/ $400.

> From: sandersm at aol.com
>
> In a message dated 2/23/00 9:26:51 AM, fashionguy at ameritech.net writes:
>
> >In the end he was going to put a quote together on both the drifter
> >and a new cruising spinnaker.

I had contemplated a large headsail that I
> could tack to the deck and hoist with a spinnaker halyard, without need of
> attachment to the forestay (I have roller-furling gear and don't want to take
> down the genoa once it's up), that would give me better performance in the
> light airs that predominate in these summer waters.  > Do I want a drifter, or a cruising spinnaker?  Why?
>
> Sanders McNew
> WILD ELF  (# 297)

Shop the web for great deals. Save on Computers,
electronics, Home furnishings and more.
http://click.egroups.com/1/1559/4/_/476031/_/951398809/