[alberg30] Spinnakers & drifters

rap1208 at aol.com rap1208 at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 09:22:28 PST 2000

From: rap1208 at aol.com

Saunders, I have a drifter, but not a cruising spinnacker.  (I have a racing
one)
The big difference is my drifter is 1/2 oz nylon, and is cut high at the
clew.  I use it when there is almost NO wind, and when a cruiser would be
starting the engine.  I take it down as soon as enough breeze is there to use
my normal genoa.  It isn't designed to point, just get the boat moving.  A
cruising spin, on the other hand, is generally 3/4 oz nylon, and much
stronger, and bigger, and can be carried in a lot more wind, if need be.
Russ 251