[alberg30] Spinnakers & drifters

John Birch sunstone at idirect.com
Thu Feb 24 11:20:25 PST 2000

There is merit in what Russ says, having too light a sail means the likelihood of
caring it in too much wind increases as the air fills in on a light day and one
inevitably waits too long - ok, well it happens on Sunstone anyway ; )

The result is a blown or distorted and over worked sail which means you have to
be more diligent, like Russ, and get it down right a way.

I've been thinking of a big asymmetrical, flat cut chute for Sunstone having
watched the Cupper's on TV and seeing its usefulness in reaching conditions.  If
cut flat you can push the sail close to 50oapparent, according to Jobson, if so
inclined.    Our Chute on A-30 Wind Rose was a flat cut balanced one and we could
push it to 55o apparent, which was a big advantage in luffing duels and walking
over competitors.

Trucking down the Lake it might just hit the spot.

Caio,

John