[alberg30] bilge/keel

Rick Leach rleach at mbayaq.org
Tue Feb 29 06:10:34 PST 2000

From: Rick Leach <rleach at mbayaq.org>

Charles,

It was actually prior to cleaning up the bilge that I was poking around in
the port cockpit seat locker, literally, with an awl...the forward bulkhead
was very, very mushy.  It turned out that the drain fitting on the ice box
had been leaking for some time and had caused a lot of rot.  That, and the
fact that it seemed like ice box was very poorly insulated caused me to
disassemble the whole works.  By working carefully, I managed to not destroy
any of the pieces.  What I found was a pitiful lack of insulation, and a lot
of rotten plywood below and behind the box itself.  While in the process of
removing all the mush I got it into my head that since I had a great big
hole in the aft bulkhead anyway, I'd consider putting a quarterberth,
figuring that I could always backtrack if it didn't look like it would work
out.  Well, as it stands, I've got a very nice battery compartment that
resides below where the ice box was.  I also moved my switch panel outboard
to where the shelves were beside the icebox.  This arrangement resulted in a
shorter runs between the battery and the starter, alternator and switch
panel.  It did move the weight up higher, which isn't so great, but it has
helped offset the heeling moment created by my fuel tank which lives in the
far outboard part of the starboard seat locker.  I also had to make a large
tray that I glassed in under the port seat locker lid to keep it safe from
major water intrusion in the event of getting pooped.  At present our icebox
consists of a large cooler that lives on top of the new battery box.
Eventually I'll be installing a top-opening box that will utilize the
awkward, under-used space below the existing galley counter.  To be honest,
I'll probably put that off for a while, the interior work that I've done so
far created a huge mess, took longer than I expected, and tied the boat up
during some prime sailing days.  Even so, I'm happy with things so far.

Whew!  It sounded like such a simple question, didn't it?

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/Alberg30

Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as 0.0%
Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points,
no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit
you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
http://click.egroups.com/1/914/4/_/476031/_/951833193/