[alberg30] Sea Hood Idea

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Mon Jan 24 09:30:24 PST 2000

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

In a message dated 1/22/00 11:12:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, Rap1208 at aol.com
writes:

<< From: Rap1208 at aol.com

 Lee,, I've ben out in some nasty weather in Lk Huron, with big waves, about
3
 boat lengths between wave crest, and the ocasional breaking wave.  One even
 broke afainst the stern and came crashing into the cockpit.  The botom hatch
 board was in place, so no harm was done, except for the helmsman getting a
 cold shower.  If there was water comeing in around the hatch, we didn't
 notice it.   I uset to think about a sea hood, but my fix worked for me.  In
 really bad weather, no boat is really ever dry.
 Russ Pfeiffer

Hey Russ,
Sounds like a great sail!!  Wish I had been along!!
No, but seriously, the sea hood sounds great to me from my experiences on the
alberg 22 we had.  She was a great little ship, and could realy take it.
When we had the second reef in the main, and a little spitfire jib up, we
were good to 40 knots of wind, and probably beyond. She really  handled well.
The only thing was.....with her low freeboard, and her handling
characteristics, she did have a tendency to stick her bow into oncoming waves
if they were steep, as opposed to rising up over them.  When she did that, a
veritable wall of water would rush aft, over the cabin top, and that space
between the hatch and the cabin top let water down below. On Long Island
Sound, it's salt water, so it doesn't just go away. Bunks, cushions, etc,
have to be rinsed in fresh water to get out the salt, if you ever want them
to really dry. I imagine the A 30 is drier in those conditions, but the
designs are so similar, that the sea hood to prevent the occasional dousing
and keep the living quarters more pleasant seems like a very good idea.
Sure, we could live without it, but I hate a wet bunk!! :)
regards,
Lee
Stargazer #255

Sign up for eLerts at: