[alberg30] small traditional day cruiser

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Mon Jan 31 18:35:48 PST 2000

From: Scott Wallace <tristan at one.net>

John,

I have a Bluenose 24, it is indeed designed by William Roue,
who designed the world champion schooner, Bluenose, which
sank off of Haiti in 1946 after the mighty champion of
Canada was sold off after Captain Angus Walters couldn't
afford to keep her anymore!  The Bluenose 24 was designed as
a daysailer club racer for the Chester Yacht Club of
Chester, Nova Scotia, on the South Shore.  George McVay,
father of William McVay of the Victoria 18 fame, built the
fiberglass Bluenose sloops on a mold made off of one of the
best wooden Bluenose champion racers!  McVay built these
boats in Mahone Bay, once a thriving boat building center
South of Halifax.  Many great barkentines, barks and
brigantines as well as a zillion schooners were all made
here.  McVay was probably the last commercial builder
there.  I have a Bluenose 24, HELLDIVER, for sale...it is in
Mentor, Ohio on the shores of Lake Erie...they are a
beautful boat and one that Alberg would have certainly
approved!  It has a full keel with mild cutaway, spoon bow
upswept and a beautiful stern that finishes out the lines.
It is a teal blue gelcoat, with white cabin top and molded
tan decks...the original wooden ones were an open daysailer
while the McVay versions provide a little cuddy cabin big
enough to camp two out for sleep, hold a porty potty and
cooler and the sails!  It has bronze ports and teak trim
with louvered doors to the cuddy cabin.  It also has a
British seagull motor and an old trailer with a huge
relatively new wooden cradle atop!

Scott Wallace