[alberg30] Engine Water Intake, flushout valve

Tom Sutherland sutherlandt at prodigy.net
Mon Jul 17 07:06:35 PDT 2000

Guy ... I will pass along my "poor mans solution" to this situation.

Prestone makes a "flush'n fill kit" which can be found in most auto parts stores for about
$5.00. The kit comes with 3 "T" fittings which range from 1/2 to 3/4 inch. All that has to be
done is cut the intake hose between the sea cock and the fresh water pump and select the "T"
fitting which fits your hose. The "T" fitting comes with a screw on cap which I leave in place
when the flush or winterizing device is not in use. I keep on board a short piece of garden
hose complete with the female end. To use this device I simply  CLOSE THE SEA COCK, remove the
screw on cap, screw on the short piece of garden hose and place the end of the hose either in
a bucket of antifreeze or  fresh water depending on whether you are winterizing or flushing
your system.

If you would like to use this devise an an emergency bilge pump you could keep a second length
of hose long enough to reach the bilge. I would  rig this hose with a screen on the pickup end
to prevent any debris from being pulled into the pickup pump.

It is also my policy to always close the engine sea cock when leaving the boat.

Tom S
A30  #412

Guy Lalonde wrote:

>    Part 1.1.1    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>              Encoding: quoted-printable

BTW: Did you buy that new car yet?
If not, check this site out.
They're called CarsDirect.com and it's a pretty sweet way to buy a car.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6847/10/_/476031/_/963842763/