[alberg30] Trailers

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jun 8 07:49:15 PDT 2000

Janet,
Trailers are usually classified by weight, which
includes what they carry and their own weight.  There
are probably local highway regulations limiting the
width of the trailer, and for the number of axles, i.e.
three.
The A30 weighs about 9000-9300 lbs.  You need a trailer
that can handle that load.  I had one built by a local
company that does horse and farm trailers.  It has a
max load of 14,000 lbs., and two axles, each carrying
7,000 lbs.  It was a flatbed trailer that I mounted a
standard steel cradle to.  This cradle is probably a
bit undersized for long highway use.  If you have one
built, larger sized supports--look at other boat
trailers in any marina--would be sensible.  Use a
wooden cradle at your own risk.  You want about 10% of
the weight on the tongue, so the placement of the
boat/cradle on the trailer bed is important.  It may
take some fore-aft adjustment of the boat before it
balances correctly on the trailer, so you should have
some means of adjusting the position forward/backward
on the trailer if you don't know exactly where the
center of balance is.  If you tow a trailer with a
total weight over 10,000 lbs. you may need a special
class of driver's license.  You can tow the A30 with a
3/4 ton pickup, although for long distance, highway
speeds or high hills you may want a heavier vehicle,
because stopping is important.  My solution for hauling
the boat about three miles each way was to use a local
marina hauler, and use my small pickup to move the
empty trailer around as needed.
Bob Lincoln
Indigo #590
(first sail last night!  everything ok)