[alberg30] Trailers

Jack Vanderloo jvdloo at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 8 09:51:46 PDT 2000

Bob, may I ask where you had your trailer made (assume Winnipeg area) and
approximately what it set you back?  Thanks
Jack
KC641

Bob Lincoln wrote:

> Janet,
> Trailers are usually classified by weight, which
> includes what they carry and their own weight.  There
> are probably local highway regulations limiting the
> width of the trailer, and for the number of axles, i.e.
> three.
> The A30 weighs about 9000-9300 lbs.  You need a trailer
> that can handle that load.  I had one built by a local
> company that does horse and farm trailers.  It has a
> max load of 14,000 lbs., and two axles, each carrying
> 7,000 lbs.  It was a flatbed trailer that I mounted a
> standard steel cradle to.  This cradle is probably a
> bit undersized for long highway use.  If you have one
> built, larger sized supports--look at other boat
> trailers in any marina--would be sensible.  Use a
> wooden cradle at your own risk.  You want about 10% of
> the weight on the tongue, so the placement of the
> boat/cradle on the trailer bed is important.  It may
> take some fore-aft adjustment of the boat before it
> balances correctly on the trailer, so you should have
> some means of adjusting the position forward/backward
> on the trailer if you don't know exactly where the
> center of balance is.  If you tow a trailer with a
> total weight over 10,000 lbs. you may need a special
> class of driver's license.  You can tow the A30 with a
> 3/4 ton pickup, although for long distance, highway
> speeds or high hills you may want a heavier vehicle,
> because stopping is important.  My solution for hauling
> the boat about three miles each way was to use a local
> marina hauler, and use my small pickup to move the
> empty trailer around as needed.
> Bob Lincoln
> Indigo #590
> (first sail last night!  everything ok)

Click here for a chance to win airfare to Vegas for you and 20 friends,
$15,000 and a suite at Bellagio for New Year's from Expedia.com. Or
win 2 roundtrip tickets anywhere in the U.S. given away daily.
http://click.egroups.com/1/5296/8/_/476031/_/960482993/