[alberg30] Mast Issues

T K Blanc blancs at altavista.com
Mon May 1 07:59:09 PDT 2000

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to drop a new wire with some kind of weight while the mast is upright...

On Sun, 30 April 2000, "Alan P. Kefauver" wrote:

> As work progresses on Andante, I have finally gotten to the mast. Sent a mate aloft today, and found the anchor light had been made from a glass jar, the steaming light was corroded, and the spreader lights were, .. well non-repairable. So, off it all came,with the plan to pull new wire with the old. Ooops, the old wire broke and disintegrated.
>
> Looks like the only thing to do is take the mast down and rewire and install new wire and fixtures. I would appreciate any hints or ideas about how to fish new wiring without a mast removal. Barring that, any tips on mast removal will be appreciated. Andante has a Crusing Design Roller Furler where the luff is made from sections of extruded aluminum held together with splines and rivets. A gizmo hooks to the sail and is pulled up to the top where it is caught in a cam, the gizmo releases and the halyard pulled down and tied off. For taking down the Genny, the Gizmo is then sent aloft upside down to realease the cam and the sail is brought down by tugging the messenger line. I suspect there are a bunch of these rigs out there as they were an A30 Association group purchase a long time ago. The problem is the sections get misalligned, and everything jams up. I am distraught with the thought of having to take all this apart to unstep the mast.
>
> Everything else on the mast is sound.
>
> Has anyone replaced the CD system, and if so, with what? What is in the mast of the A30? Any and all help will be appreciated.
>
> Alan
> Andante #152 (Engine arrival moved back to the 17th)

> Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
> more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
> rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

Why pay when you don't have to? Get AltaVista Free Internet Access now!
http://jump.altavista.com/freeaccess4.go

Now the best and coolest websites come right to you based on your
unique interests. eTour.com is surfing without searching.
And, it's FREE!
http://click.egroups.com/1/3013/5/_/476031/_/957193150/