[alberg30] OpSail 2000, New York Harbor

sandersm at aol.com sandersm at aol.com
Mon May 1 15:23:34 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/1/00 6:05:39 PM, BOGLE at BWAY.NET writes:

>What I'm curious about is the trip from OB to NY harbor.  About how long
>does that trip take?

I've done it a few times -- a lot depends on how you time the tides at Hell
Gate.  They run 6 knots at the peak of the flood and ebb, and woe be to
anyone who tries to make headway against them.  At slack water, you should be
able to make it in something around six hours.   Apart from Hell Gate, it's
an easy trip to pilot.

If you're in Oyster Bay, you'll get a kick out of seeing the media moguls'
yachts that call it home.  Rupert Murdoch keeps MORNING GLORY, a 185-foot
ketch, anchored there off and on during the summer.  Charles Dolan
(Cablevision and Madison Square Garden owner) keeps KNICKERBOCKER, a 180-foot
ketch, moored at the fuel dock during the season, along with his two 80-foot
ocean racers, BRAVO and ENCORE.  [Conspicuous consumption, anyone?]  MORNING
GLORY and KNICKERBOCKER are so big, that they could hang an A30 in davits as
tenders; their main masts are so tall that they cannot pass underneath the
East River bridges, and must round Montauk to make New York Harbor.

>Maybe we'll see you this summer in Oyster Harbor.  #92 will be in there,
>as it has been before I bought it in October, at mooring AC-15.

I'll be at BE-20 after Memorial Day.  See you there!

Sanders McNew
WILD ELF  # 297

Avoid the lines and visit avis.com for quick and easy online
reservations. Enjoy a compact car nationwide for only $29 a day!
Click here for more details.
http://click.egroups.com/1/3011/5/_/476031/_/957219818/