[alberg30] Propeller Specifications

Rick Leach rleach at mbayaq.org
Fri Sep 1 07:04:11 PDT 2000

Install today:
http://click.egroups.com/1/6347/10/_/476031/_/967816905/

More Prop-talk!

Obviously there is as much art as there is science to this field, even
"experts" will give widely varying answers to seemingly simple questions.
Ultimately, it a guessing game backed up by trial & error.
13" wheel leaves very little in the way of tip clearance.  This results in
some significant noise and vibration, especially at higher revs.  Also, with
the prop spinning so close behind the deadwood, a two-bladed wheel
effectively "unloads" twice per revolution, creating another type of
vibration.  My best guess for anyone except the serious racer would be a 12"
three-bladed prop, the pitch would be the last variable to match to your
powerplant characteristics.
With an Atomic 4, I was convinced that I wanted a bronze 12x6 three-bladed
sailer prop until I heard about the Indigo prop specifically designed for
the A-4 power curve.  But it's made of 316 stainless, and I'm concerned
about crevice corrosion...so the waffling continues.

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121