[Alberg30] "Mini Reef"

Chester and Jan Koop cjk at tir.com
Tue Sep 19 17:45:19 PDT 2000

George and Bob;
I suspect the "mini reef" to which you may be referring is, I believe, sometimes called a "flatting reef."  This reef de-powers the main by taking some of "bag" out of the foot. On my slap reefing system it operates is the same manner as taking in a regular full reef  but only takes in about 8 inches along the luff.  When I purchased Tangaroa in 1982 it still had roller furling and the "flatting reef" consisted on a large zipper which ran parallel to the foot from tack to the clew. By pulling the zipper forward to the gooseneck, the main was "flattened" because the foot and the head where drawn together. The resulting bunting hanging off on the opposite side.  In a blow it was somewhat difficult operate the zipper given the pressure on the sail.

Chet Koop
Tangaroa #445