[Alberg30] prop shaft thread

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Tue Apr 3 16:18:46 PDT 2001

If your threads are shot from galvanic action, probably the rest of your
shaft is also. If you do your own work, replacing the shaft isn't too
expensive. Getting it out of the coupling for the motor will be the hardest
part but, if your replacing it, get your hands on a sawzall and cut it just
past the coupling. Give the coupling to the shaft supplier and let him press
it out and fit it to the new shaft.
If you decide to rethread it instead, be sure to use a large fender washer
to cover the aft end of the prop and be sure to pin that nut. If you turn it
down to 1/2" thread size, the outside of the nut will only be 3/4" across.
Not enough to secure the prop!
Again, if your right about galvanic problems to the point of nut problems,
CHANGE THAT SHAFT!