[Alberg30] RE: Merriman winches and dripless shaft seal

Horton, Ross G. rhorton at pwcgov.org
Mon Feb 5 07:02:20 PST 2001

Peter:
	I have no idea what I'd want for the Merrimans so I'll check with
Bacons.  Send me an e-mail off line at rhorton at pwcgov.org and we can discuss
it.
	As for the dripless shaft seal I am aware of two ways to approach
the issue.  The first is a mechanical seal which uses two precisely machined
rings which turn against each other.  One ring is secured to the turning
shaft and the other is secured to a bellows connected to the stern tube.
The bellows acts as a "spring" to hold the fixed ring against the one on the
shaft.  The are available through West Marine, BoatUS, Defender etc., and I
believe they are called PSS or something like that.  It is necessary to pull
the shaft to install it.  One of my friends hear at the marina installed one
on his S-2 and it seems to work fine.
	The second way to have a dripless seal is to use a special packing
compound in your existing stuffing box.  this is a greenish blue clay like
substance which is impregnated with Teflon.  The clay comes in a couple of
sticks which you roll between your hands to the approximate 1/4 inch
thickness. Then you clean out the old packing in the stuffing box and insert
one ring of standard flax packing, then a couple of rings of the clay then
another ring of flax.  The stuffing box is then reassembled and tightened
down.  Final adjustments to the tightness of the box are made in the water
so that it just stops to drip.  The material is fairly stiff so it is much
easier to roll between your hands if it is warm.  I installed this type of
packing two years ago and it has worked fine ever since.  This is important
to me since it is difficult or impossible for someone my size to service or
fix a stuffing box on an A-30 alone and underway. It is available from West
Marine, and I'm sure others.

Ross Horton
Delphi #40

Message: 4